LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. – The Sacred Heart women's track and field team sent a large contingent to compete in the Rider University 5-Way Invitational held on Saturday. The Pioneers shined in the field events on the day, with senior Amy Vegliante highlighting SHU's effort with her second consecutive pole vault victory to start the 2019 outdoor season.
- One week removed from a first-place finish and New England qualifying mark of 3.55m at the Wesleyan Spring Classic, Vegliante claimed her second straight pole vault victory of the outdoor season with a first-place showing on Saturday with a mark of 3.40m
- Brianna DeGennaro (5.37m) and Antonia Hoyos (5.36m) placed fourth and fifth, respectively, going back-to-back in the overall standings of the long jump
- Hoyos (11.29m) and DeGennaro (11.18m) also showed well in the triple jump, placing fifth and seventh, respectively
- Brianna Lavinier qualified for the New England Championships with a mark of 12.34m in the shot put which placed her third overall while Samantha Curran came in fourth place with a throw of 11.63m
- Leading the way in the discus throw was Madelyn Bradway with a mark of 38.11m which earned her fourth place while she also took a runner-up finish in the hammer with a personal-best throw of 47.53m
- Lavinier also put up a personal-best in the hammer throw with a mark of 41.53m to place sixth overall
- Three Pioneers – Lauren Tanner (2nd, 36.59m), Sierrah Rich (3rd, 31.43m) and Gessica Mongelli (5th, 26.04m) – placed Top 5 in the javelin throw
- Tanaya Wade led the way for SHU in the 100m (13.16 seconds) and 200m (27.83), placing seventh and 15th overall, respectively
- Devyn King placed seventh to lead the way for the Pioneers in the 4000m with a time of 1:01.81
- Bianca De Lucia led a group of six Pioneers who competed in the 800m as she crossed the line in 2:22.15 to place fourth out of 25 total runners
- Emma Cary showed well in the 3000m, clocking in at 10:45.83 to earn third place out of 19 competitors
- Brigit Kelly earned a third place result in the 3000m steeplechase with a time of 12:17.89
- SHU took third in the 4x100m relay as the grouping of Hoyos, Wade, Adriana Forcucci and Tara Brody clocked in at 50.23 seconds
- The SHU 'A' 4x400m relay squad of King, De Lucia, Fahra Whichard and Julia Koenig clocked in at 4:13.45 and claimed sixth place out of 10 teams
The Pioneers head down to Princeton University on Saturday, April 6th for their next competition at the Sam Howell Invitational. Competition is set to begin at Noon.