The Sacred Heart University women's ice hockey team defeated visiting New England Women's Hockey Associate foe St. Michael's College 4-1 Friday afternoon at the SportsCenter of Connecticut. The Pioneers improve to 19-7-4 overall and 8-4-3 in NEWHA action while the Purple Knights fall to 6-15-1 on the year and 4-11-1 in league action.
The Pioneers scored three goals in the third period, breaking a 1-1 tie, to overcome an early 1-0 deficit. Victoria Grimmer and Maddie Bishop both scored and tallied an assist for the Pioneers. Sarah Erban made nine saves, and didn't allow a goal over the final 51:21 of play.
The two team's face-off again on Saturday to close out the Pioneers home schedule. Game time is set for 5:30 pm and the contest will be preceded by a ceremony honoring the SHU seniors.
- St. Michaels' took the lead when Krista Ferrari netted a rebound from a Jordan Monbouquette and Maddie Gervais
- Pioneers found the equalizer on the power play when Haley Payne found the back of the net from Maddie Bishop and Savannah Hersey
- The Pioneers won 13 of 20 first period faceoffs and outshot the visitor 11-7
- SHU outshot the Purple Knights 12-1 in the second period, but Vika Simons stopped all dozen shots she faced
- Sarah Erban stopped the one shot that she faced in the frame
- The Purple Knights were 9-6 on faceoffs in the second
- Victoria Grimmer scored unassisted 6:35 into the final period, putting the Pioneers in front for good, 2-1
- The Pioneers earned an insurance goal from Maddie Bishop at the 12:21 mark, as she tallied passes from Grimmer and Marissa Letizio
- Lilly Cleary rounded out the scoring, stuffing in a shot from the top of the crease with 4:01 remaining
By The Numbers
- The Pioneers finished with a 33-10 advantage in shots, including a 22-3 edge in the second and third periods combined
- Simons made 29 saves in goal for St. Michaels
- The Pioneers finished 28-24 on face-offs on the night, with 12 wins from Katie Stueve
- SHU killed off the only penalty that is was whistled for and scored on 1-3 chances of skating with a man advantage