Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Women's Basketball Team heads to Staten Island, N.Y. Monday night to face the Wagner Seahawks. The Pioneers are riding a five-game winning streak after junior Blair Koniszewski led the team with a career high 26 points to the 58-50 victory over Mount St. Mary's Saturday night. Meanwhile, the Seahawks hope to snap their five-game losing streak on Monday.
Series Notes... This is the 27th time in program history the Pioneers have played the Wagner Seahawks
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 18-8
- The only time Sacred Heart and Wagner faced off in the Northeast Conference Tournament was in the Pioneers' debut season, in the 2000 Championship game. The Seahawks took the championship winning the game 64-63
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 200-99 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 15-3 last season against the NEC, including three tournament wins en route to their third NEC Championship
- Sacred Heart only lost to Quinnipiac, Monmouth and LIU Brooklyn last year
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 9-7, Central Connecticut State 26-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 22-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-12, Monmouth 18-11, Mount St. Mary's 23-4, Quinnipiac 34-26, Robert Morris 18-7, Saint Francis U 14-8, St. Francis Brooklyn 21-9 and Wagner 18-8
Last Season Against the Seahawks... Wagner came to Fairfield last season for the only meeting between the Pioneers and Seahawks. Sacred Heart took the 10-point victory 67-57 on January 30, 2012. Callan Taylor (now graduated), Ericka Norman and Blair Koniszewski all reached double-digits in the win with Taylor leading the game with 15 points.
First Five Game Streak... On Saturday, the Sacred Heart Women's Basketball Team edged out Mount St. Mary's 58-50. The win tacked on to sweeping the last two weekends puts the Pioneers on their first five-game winning streak of the season. It all It all started with handing the Saint Francis Red Flash their first conference loss of the season live on NEC-TV 71-50, followed by the late come-from-behind 70-66 win over Robert Morris. This past weekend, they topped Monmouth 56-42 in the rematch of the 2012 NEC Championship game. Then, on Monday, defeated Bryant 62-44.