Pioneers Settle For 3-3 Tie With RIT

Pioneers Settle For 3-3 Tie With RIT

Oct. 24, 2008

Final Stats

Milford, CT - Senior Eric Giosa (Northville, MI) scored two goals to help Sacred Heart build a 3-0 lead midway through the second period but RIT scored three unanswered goals to storm back and salvage a 3-3 tie in Atlantic Hockey action Friday night at the Milford Ice Pavilion. The Pioneers earned their first point in the standings of the year with the draw.

Both teams came out of the gate skating well, and Giosa put SHU ahead with 34 seconds left in the first period. After Tiger goaltender Louis Menard stopped initial shots by Chris Bailer (Wetaskiwin, AB) and Bear Trapp (Regina, SK), Giosa picked up a loose puck at the top of the face-off circle and snapped a shot that beat Menard to give SHU the lead.

The second period featured a parade to the penalty box as the teams were whistled for a total of 10 infractions in the middle stanza. The Pioneers converted on two opportunities with the extra skater to build a three goal lead. At the 4:41 mark, Giosa netted his second of the night, taking a pass from freshman Matt Gingera (Winnipeg, MB) and redirecting the puck past Menard. Less than two minutes later, at the 6:26 mark, junior Erik Boisvert (Drummondville, QC) took a pass from Patrick Knowlton (Colorado Springs, CO) and drilled a shot from the right face-off circle that flew past Menard and into the back of the goal to make it 3-0 Pioneers.

RIT's comeback began with a momentum-shifting goal with 52 seconds left in the second period. With the Tigers on the power play, Sean Murphy took a pass from Dan Ringwald and ripped a shot from the point that beat a screened Stefan Drew (Oakbank, MB) to put RIT on the board heading into the intermission.

The Tigers controlled the action for much of the third period and scored two goals to force the extra stanza. At the 5:23 mark, Cameron Burt cut the deficit to one goal, converting a pass from Al Mazur. Jesse Newman tied it for the Tigers with 10:51 left in regulation, pounding a slapshot past Drew.

SHU's Corey Laurysen (Ottawa, ON) was whistled for a tripping penalty midway through overtime, giving RIT an opportunity to win the game on the power play. The Tigers generated four shots on goal but could not put a puck past Drew, who made 30 saves to preserve the tie.

RIT was 1-for-5 on the power play while SHU was 2-for-7. Both teams had 33 shots on goal and both goalies finished the game with 33 saves. Bailer and Gingera both recorded their first collegiate points for the Pioneers with assists.

Sacred Heart and RIT close out their series Saturday night at the Milford Ice Pavilion. Face-off is set for 7:05 pm with coverage available on WICC 600 and the B2 Networks.

Pioneers Hold Off UConn, 5-3
December 2, 2008 Pioneers Hold Off UConn, 5-3
Pioneers Shut Down AIC, 4-0
November 15, 2008 Pioneers Shut Down AIC, 4-0