BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell to Holy Cross at home by a final score of 2-1. The Pioneers travel to the Crusaders tomorrow for a 7:05 p.m. puck-drop to conclude the home-and-home matchup.
- Both sides were on the aggressive front to begin the game as SHU and Holy Cross reached double-digit shots on goal in the period as SHU edged the Crusaders 11-10 in the period.
- Holy Cross jumped on the board off the offensive barage as a goal by Alex Peterson just 2:20 into the period would put the Crusaders ahead 1-0.
- After letting up the goal, sophomore goalie Josh Benson held strong recording nine saves on the 10 shots faced in the period.
- The shots kept on coming as both teams egarly continued to press the attack as SHU racked up 17 shots on goal in the period while Holy Cross tallied 13.
- While the shots kept flying, the goalies on both ends of the ice remained firm not allowing a single shot to slip by them keeping the game 1-0 in favor of Holy Cross.
- SHU had the lone power-play opportunity to even the score but were unsuccessful in pressing as no Pioneer captialized on the one man advantage.
- It wasn't until late in the third period where the shots finally slipped by the goalies as 14:09 in the period Peterson again found the back the of the net off an assist by Jake Pappalardo to give the Crusaders a 2-0 edge with under five minutes left in the period.
- SHU answered right back as just fifty seconds later 14:59 into the third period, junior Matt Tugnutt nailed his sixth goal of the season while the Pioneers were on the power-play off a pair of assists by first-year Braeden Tuck and senior Mike Lee to cut the Holy Cross lead to 2-1.
- But even in the final minute and a half left in the period with Benson pulled out SHU was unable to salvage the game-tying goal resulting in the 2-1 tight loss.