Men's Ice Hockey Rallies From Two Goals Down to Tie Army 3-3

Men's Ice Hockey Rallies From Two Goals Down to Tie Army 3-3

WEST POINT, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team  (14-14-4, 13-10-3 AHA) was able to rally back from two goals down in the third period to tie Army 3-3 to take the weekend series from the Black Knights. The Pioneers will conclude the regular season on Thursday Feb.28 when SHU faces AIC. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.

First Period

  • The Pioneers would be outshot by the Black Knights in the first period as Army took eight shots on goal compared to the Pioneers five. Army took 21 shots total in the period compared to SHU's seven.
  • The Black Knights would get on the board first with a goal coming off the stick of Mason Kruegar at 18:06 in the period to give Army a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. 
  • Both sides would have equal shots at the power play but neither side would be able to capitalize on the opportunity. 

Second Period

  • Both sides would be able to score in the second period as Army would strike first in the period with a goal coming at 9:26 in the period off the stick of Tipper Higgins to put the Black Knights ahead 2-0.
  • But just two minutes later at 11:55 in the period sophomore Jordan Kaplan would get the Pioneers on the board with a power-play goal coming with a pair of assists by freshman Nick Boyagian and senior Mike Lee to make the score 2-1 heading into the third period.
  • The Pioneers dominated the shot total in the third period as they took 22 shots with 11 on goal while holding Army to just eight shots total with four on goal. 

Third Period

  • After a goal by Army's Eric Butte at 3:07 in the period put the Black Knights ahead 3-1, the Pioneers would begin the two goal comeback. 
  • At 14:09 in the period freshman Colin Bernard would tally his first goal as a Pioneer courtesy of a pair of assists by redshirt junior Jason Cotton and junior Austin Mcllmurray to tighten the Army lead to 3-2. 
  • Then just five minutes later with a minute remaining in regulation sophomore Marc Johnstone would nail the game tying goal for the Pioneers at 19:00 in the period courtesy of assists by seniors Liam Clare and Mike Lee to tie the game up at 3-3 sending the game into overtime. 


  • A total of eight shots would be taken in the period as neither team would be able to find the back of the net resulting in the final score being 3-3.