BURLINGTON, VT.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (5-9-2, 5-6-1 AHA) fell to Vermont by a final score of 3-2 tonight. The Pioneers will return to action on Tuesday January, 8 when SHU returns home to face Atlantic Hockey Association rival AIC. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Catamounts 15-11 in the first period.
- SHU and Vermont would have equal opportunities on the power play as both sides tallied two in the period but neither team would be able to capitalize on the power play keeping the score 0-0.
- Then at 12:48 in the first, Vermont would net the first goal of the game courtesy of Max Kaufman off a pair of assists by Derek Lodermeier and Carter Long to give the Catamounts a 1-0 lead.
- SHU would dominate the second period as the Pioneers outshot the Catamounts 12-6 in the second period.
- Vermont though would be the first team to score in the period as a goal by Alex Espisito off a pair of assists by Matt O'Donnell and Vlad Dzhioshvili at 8:39 would give the Catamounts a 2-0 lead.
- But the Pioneers would not back down as they contained the Vermont offense for the rest of the period as they allowed no goals to Vermont for the remainder of the period.
- SHU on the other hand would jump on the comeback train as a goal by freshman Ryan Steele while the Pioneers were on the power-play would tighten the Vermont lead to 2-1 at 18:38.
- Then just with less than thirty seconds left in the second period the Pioneers would tie the game up at 2-2 off a goal by sophomore Jordan Kaplan at 19:36 off an assist by fellow sophomore Marc Johnstone to tie the game up before the period concluded.
- Both sides would fire the puck less in the third and final period as SHU just narrowly outshot Vermont 9-6 in the third.
- The Catamounts would score the game winner at 6:02 in the third period coming off the stick of Max Kaufman for his second goal of the evening this time off an assist by Joey Cipollone to give Vermont the eventual 3-2 victory.